Saturday, September 15, 2012

Fake Blues

Hey Everybody, time to get back into this blog-shaped thing. Let's start off with Saturdays. Not Saturdays in general, but this Saturday; today. 

I awoke to two cats fighting in my driveway. I've been more startled in my life, but this was a damn close second place. I swung my leg over my abused, but dearly adored road bike (which is now sporting some recently purchased, pre-abused Mavic Kyrsrium Elites)and headed over the bridge to the coffee box. A positively gorgeous sunrise greeted me as I spun along the ocean in a light, to medium coma (read: actually addicted to coffee. Actually.) 

I was suddenly jolted from my mellow cadence by a familiar explosion of air from my rear tire, joined by the sound of my new-to-me Kysrium rim shaking hands with a piece of rebar. Not rhubarb, as in the pie, but rebar, as in the hard as fuck metal rod. Thanks cast iron, death rod. I took in my surroundings and placed myself at exactly half way to work. No more, no less. Decisions... I chose to run: the contents of my stomach like custard in a plastic bag, jostling to and fro as I stumbled like a zombie in tap-shoes, in the morning light. 

Work happened. Much caffeine and a delicious BLT & Fried Egg Wrap was consumed. Man fuel. Maple glazed bacon. Not a joke. Synapses fired and revealed the stashed tube and tire lever in my pack. Woops? Flat fixed. Works ends. Ride begins.
In short, I ended up pedaling through one of the most exhilarating road rides of my short existence. I fought the wind for almost 25 miles and it rewarded me on the way back. My legs, or "meat levers," as they have become known, felt like magical robots. Full circles of powerful, even, fluid pedal strokes pushed me into a blissful head space. The weight of my daily grind and impending life decisions rocketed backwards out of my mind as my uncertain gaze of the day narrowed into a purposeful tunnel of clarity. Time on the bike was paying off. My legs felt strong. A strange smile crossed my face and never left. Happiness had to be this - I was sure. 

Towards the end of the ride, I cruised through a flock of idling cars, most of which contained people who were not nearly as happy as I was. In a sincerely sick way, I got a good amount of pleasure out of this. No apologies to be made. Shoot me. 

My day had done a full 180. Things wrapped up with burgers on the grill and a Rogue American Amber Ale in my hand. Gosh darnit, life can be sweet - Cheers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment